Monday, February 26, 2007

My Baby Turned 14 Today

I say "baby" because I vividly remember the day he entered this world, the hours of watching "Barney", his fascination with masking tape and feather dusters, his sweet hands on my face gently turning my eyes to his when he needed my attention. Memories flood my mind of Jackson reading books on Thomas Edison, then seeing the special Edison Exhibit at the Smithsonian and crying at the lifesize display of the man himself because he was so excited to see him. I remember his first day at Miami Valley Christian School - 4th grade. I thought he was so grown up! I looked at the parents of the junior high kids and thought they seemed so much older.

Now we have high school staring us in the face and I wonder how did the time go by so fast? 14. A real teenager. I told him tonight that 13 was kind of like "teenager practice", but now he is the real deal - a full fledged teenager. I was scared of teenagers when I was growing up. I think because I lived in a shady condo development and they all smoked pot. Nonetheless, I now have one of those creatures of my own - minus the pot, of course. How did that happen? Wasn't I a teenager just a minute ago?

My baby is 14 today -- that cuddly, chubby little blond haired wonder has grown up. I love him more now than the day I first got him. Happy Birthday Jackson! I am so proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...make me cry. I think of Uri's little chubby hands and all his "stunts" that as of now haven't reeked any havoc and am amazed he's almost three.

Happy birthday jackson! We hope you're president someday!