Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I got bored one day last week.....

....and decided I should just call up my friend Lauren and ask if she wanted to start a school for the IHOP community that would offer classes for K-12. Am I dreaming?

Nope. It's real. And it's wild.

The Daniel Academy -- a place for children to gain knowledge and wisdom in all kinds of literature, math, arts and sciences to prepare them to become world changers for such a time as this. We will achieve this by pursuing academic excellence with a spirit of prayer and fasting and doing it all with marvelous comrades.

Actually I wasn't bored at all. My plate is rather full and this was the farthest thing from my mind until the Lord surprised us with the divine invitation to partner with Him as He raises up this generation of messengers who will serve in all arenas -- from the platforms of Houses of Prayer to the platforms of Presidential primaries.

I couldn't be more excited about the people God has teamed us up with for this adventure. Bob and Lauren Fraser are the real entrepreneurs of the project. As we sat over coffee listening to the vision God had stirred inside them, our jaws were dropping and our hearts were skipping beats. "You mean our kids can get a great education and still be deeply involved in the prayer room? Rock on!" Looking at the class structure, potential teacher pool and prayer room combo, I am thinking about just doing high school all over again. It sounds like it is going to be a blast!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to think that my future grandchildren will have this opportunity. Very exciting!!

Emily Meagan said...

This is something that I've been praying about. I have a heart to be at IHOP, but I'm a certified elementary teacher who wants to teach in addition to time in the prayer room. (Sorry if this is kind of disjointed - I just got in from work and I'm pretty tired tonight.)

Jenny Powell said...

This IS VERY exciting... and is even encouraging to me in my pre-motherhood stage. It makes bringing children into the world a little less daunting... Ok, actually it's still REALLY daunting, but I'm excited about this nonetheless!! :)

*for the record - no, i'm not pregnant. :)

reallyniceday said...

Again, I am SOOOOOO excited about this! My prayer has been to raise up all my kids as excellent and in their calling like Moses' mother but I just am so limited in time, knowledge and mostly patience. I don't want to short change my future president daughter because she's hanging with the 2 year old while I do math with the boy. You are wonderful, my friend. I herald your praises!

Fairing Well said...

WOW, that is very cool. We may have to relocate to the KC area in a few years!!!!

Stephanie said...

I second Emily's comment . . . It would be amazing to teach the IHOP kids, and probably learn just as much from them as I am able to teach. I look forward to updates on the Daniel Academy!

Joyska said...

intriguing idea. I'm not a teacher, a mom, or even a mom wanna be, but i've worked with inner city kids for 15 years... this idea is provoking something in me... hmmmm... great... now, I' know I won't sleep much tonite! haha. Love the idea Kelsey, and will be praying for you and about this. I've thought often about a school for inner city kids especially from a prayer "warrior" perspective. Not what you are talking about I know, but I am strangely stirred by this post!

steven hamilton said...

i love when the Lord surprises us in the midst of full plates.

the Lord bless tyhis endeavour!

peace

steven

Kelsey Bohlender said...

Emily, Stephanie and Joyska - We are looking for people just like you! (Smile)

Kari - This is going to rock! Imagine, doing school and life with friends, wahoo!

Scott and Caroline - Is that all it takes to get you guys back???

Emily Meagan said...

I'm all for it... and planning on relocating after my track 2 of FITN anyways... there's very little holding me here in louisiana... want to give me another reason to stay in KC?

Emily Meagan said...

I'm all for it... and planning on relocating after my track 2 of FITN anyways... there's very little holding me here in louisiana... want to give me another reason to stay in KC?

Anonymous said...

Kelsey,

This is something that I've been praying about starting for about 6 months now. How exciting! I know it will definitely meet a need at IHOP and will be a blessing to all. Keep us posted as this thing grows.

blessings,
kristi

Kelsey Bohlender said...

Kristi - There is an information meeting for all interested Monday evening, February 12. If you want more details, email me directly....kbohlender@gmail.com

P said...

Now you got us aching to be there. Dont tell Danie....

Fraser is a programmer too. Maybe I can fly out and we can tag team a class on software development...

LOL

Marc said...

I read about the Daniel Academy from your husbands blog. My wife and I, both Public School Teachers in the State of New York, would love for our daughters (5 and 4) attend a school such as the one described.

Marci Lewellen said...

i love it... you have to get with Richard... he as been thinking about something like this for a while now... :)

Anonymous said...

Kelsey,
This is awesome! I am so excited about what the Lord is doing. Thank you for stepping out in obedience for us all. See you at the info meeting.
Many Blessings,
Tonya Lafayette