Saturday, January 06, 2007

There's no place like the 'pot

After a 2+ hour trip to Home Depot to pick up "a few last minute things", I think we are ready to get to work this week on the finishing touches to our kitchen project and other half baked ideas around the house.

I admit I was a bit offended when I saw the flyer at the Customer Service desk for something called a "Do-It-Herself" workshop where women could learn how to refinish an antique table. A refinishing project for girls?? C'mon! Are we not good enough for power tools? Window installation? Cement staining? What's this wienie stuff about refinishing old tables?

After we filled the girly-man cart, we switched over to the mumba-jumba contractor flat with wheels and filled one of those too. Items purchased included, but were not limited to....joint compound, dining room light fixture, a coping saw, cool register covers, paint, a new toilet seat, caulking, tile and assorted goop and about a half a mile of trimwork. Thank God for the Suburban.

We got home and I got to put my favorite summer bargain to use! I found a brand new miter box at an estate sale last summer and have been itching to try it out. Apparently you have to be Einstein to figure out how to use it, but I now feel like a genius having cut all my kitchen trim with 45 degree corners. This thing is sweet! I almost can't wait to install the trim in our basement next week.

Designing, shopping, measuring, sawing, staining, painting and I fed my family too. All in a day's work.

No comments: