Thursday, June 29, 2006

RUSTY THE GENIUS

My friends sent their newsletter yesterday and this story so captured my heart I must blog it......it's not mine, but I pray it becomes my own.

A LESSON IN MEEKNESS
It happened again….one of those situations where actions spoke louder than words.

I was picking up kids from school on a Friday afternoon. Early mornings and half-eaten lunches contributed to the meltdown five minutes from home. You can feel the pressure of these things long before the activating event—everything feels on edge.

As we pulled into the driveway, the escalating “No, I didn’t, Yes, you did!” was being dealt with ever increasing volume. Tears were flowing and the youngest, with a crushed spirit, was sent to his room to wait for the referee. Truly guilty as charged.

Regaining my composure after a few minutes, I marched upstairs and listened at Aidan’s locked door. Silence. I knocked and he opened the door with a face wet with tears and frustration and a face wrinkled with a frown. I looked at him and in that moment decided to love him. I said nothing, just opened my arms. He hugged me and I him while drawing him up to my chest and lying down on the bed. We lay there several minutes without speaking. He soaked in love and acceptance as he lay motionless for some time. Finally looking up into my face, he smiled sheepishly and sunk his face back into my chest for another minute or two. After a short while, he looked up with a bigger smile, saying, “I love you, Dad…. Can I go downstairs, now?”

I smiled and nodded…and off he went…somehow more filled.

Aidan experienced the meekness and strength of his father without a word of instruction or rebuke. Once again, God was showing me that even the silence of God is enough for a troubled heart, when love and acceptance is assured. In all our “getting”, we must get a heart confident in the love of God......

THIS IS WHAT I WANT -- to know confidence in the silence of God. Somehow in this wonderful community we live in, it is very easy to get real down on yourself. You see and hear people with amazing stories of what God is doing in their life; "God told me this", "The Lord said...", "you-know-who just gave me the most incredible word!". Sometimes I look around grumpily delcare, "The Lord ain't tellin' me nuthin'!". My prayer this morning is that I would be acutely aware of the deposit residing within me - the precious Spirit that pursues fellowship with me. Even in silence.

4 comments:

Alaska1 said...

Well, now I have to speak up.

You really bless me. You bless me in being a great mom to your kids. Your example of how a mom can actually be a mom at IHOP AND press into God is amazing.

Two days ago, I stood outside waiting for my bride and the chariot to arrive and overheard portions of you talking End Times with someone curious. You willingness to answer questions blesses me.

You bless me by standing up and telling everyone about your son getting touched at camp.

You bless me by raising your oldest son with an unquestioning servants heart. He is a delight to know and was a true gift to the behind-the-scenes actions of Signs and Wonders Camp.

You bless me by writing tidbits on here regularly that provoke, prod, and sometimes even tickle the soul.

And as for the wife you are to Randy... I believe Mary Poppins has the word for you, I just cant spell it.

Liz said...

Wow. To both the blog and the comment.

I love you Kelsey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot. I really needed that.

Anonymous said...

You know I've never met you in real life but I feel like I know you. You are so real and you are such a blessing to read. Sometimes God will be trying to tell me something... and then I'll scan a few blogs and more than once...I'll read something you wrote and go.. "YES!!! THATS IT!!!"

Thanks for being so open.