Friday, February 22, 2008

Why I Do What I Do

Now here's a post that could actually necessitate a table of contents. If I added one, it might look like this:

Chapter One Joy in the Mundane - things that can only be done by me

Chapter Two The Secret Place - things that no one will ever see

Chapter Three Pioneering - things that no one else wants to do

Chapter Four The Spotlight - things that other people think they want to do

.......and so on.
You get the picture.

There are some things in life we do because we want to eat, live indoors and wear clothing that doesn't smell (i.e. grocery shopping, cleaning the bathroom and endless laundry). These things don't seem noble, but done with an attitude of excellence they all count as mega points in the internship of God. I don't want to take too much time on this category - I've pondered the majesty of the mundane before and will certainly do so again, but I am thinking different thoughts tonight.

There are other things that we do or don't do because we just know it's right. Period. These things don't always seem grand at the time, but God sees the depths of our motivation and He smiles. As important as these hidden acts are, these are not my focus tonight either.

The focus of many of my thoughts lately has been the reasons why I engage in the activity of "Chapters 3 and 4". I have asked myself, why do I do this? I mean, I could just concentrate on being faithful in the first two chapters and I would find life abundantly. Is it because of the fame and the travel? Yeah, the glamor of trying to feed a screaming baby on a 3 hour flight across the country? Or cleaning up the barf in the x-ray bin after son #2 pukes his guts out going through security? Maybe it's the smoky hotel rooms and continental breakfast bars. And for the record, let me just say it is entirely creepy when people walk up to me in another city and know my name simply from reading this blog......"Uh, you don't know me, but I know all about you!" No.....I didn't sign up for those reasons.

First of all, our involvement with The Call has been since the original trumpet blast in 2000 to come to Washington DC for a day of revolutionary fasting and prayer. We closed down our church and told everyone to go to The Mall for the day. Since then, it has become our life. We do it because we believe this is the only way forward for our nation and ultimately for the planet. Solemn assemblies aren't just a good idea, they are the prescription for a people in crisis. It isn't mostly about 12 hours of rockin' good bands. The Call isn't a Christian Woodstock. It's a desperate plea and a mercy cry as we stand on "that piece of real estate called 'the gap'" (thank you Matt Lockett! Brilliant language!) and believe we serve a God who relents from sending calamity.

We have also poured our lives into the start up of The Daniel Academy this past year. I remember looking at all the websites that gave instructions for private schools and they gave an 18 month start up plan. The problem was, we only had 7 months. When in doubt, shoot from the hip. And duck. We did. Why? The same reason we have given ourselves to The Call.

It's all about the next generation and gaining an inheritance in the end, not even mostly for ourselves, but for Jesus. Don't get me wrong, I am in it for the reward too. Jesus knew we needed motivation and He actually desires for us to gain a prize at the end of the day . It's His joy to give it. I have seen Narnia and I am going for a crown like Lucy's and the spot in the temple that I never have to leave. But I truly am coming to the point in my life (thank God!) where I know that I know that it's not all about me anymore. I am a generational link -- like in the Telephone Game -- I don't want to be the person that screws up the message. I want my kids to know Him and I want to have done all that I can to create for them a place where the Word of the Lord can "run swiftly".

So even though I have a lot of options in life right now, none of them remotely compare to the joy set before me; the hope of His Glory is the energy that keeps me going. We are super busy, more than we have ever been in our lives, I don't get enough sleep and rarely have time to myself. But I know that we are partnering with the God of the Universe during a time in history like never before. These are MY times. I want to be a good link for the times that are coming for my kids. And I want to leave a legacy that paves the way for His presence on the earth.

I want every moment to count - for now and for eternity. That is the reason I do what I do.




3 comments:

Debi said...

Well, I hope I didn't 'creep' you out by saying hello this morning! LOL But, I truly want you to know how much it means to me to have you share your story and your life. Why? Because I know, in the depths of my heart, that in the same way that God has been faithful in His leadership over your life, He will be faithful over mine (ours). So, thank you for sharing and allowing God to encourage my heart!

Blessings,
Debi :)

Kelsey Bohlender said...

Ha! No, you didn't creep me out. You were at least familiar! I am particularly thinking of the guys that come up to me and say, "Oh, this must be Zoe" and I am like, "Who in the world are YOU???"

Debi said...

LOL! I TOTALLY understand! I just had to comment because I read this post AFTER I'd said hello this morning and was like, "oh no...that was a GREAT idea, Debi!" LOL

Have a great day!
Debi