Thursday, November 09, 2006

Words a Mom Never Want to Hear...

I don't like blood. It makes me faint. Thank God for Tracey Sliker! She had just come over to visit when we heard a chilling scream. I thought the boys were fighting so I rolled my eyes, apologized for the interruption and went to investigate. As I stood at the top of the stairs, Jackson ran up as if he had seen a ghost and yelled, "There's blood everywhere!" Knowing his tendency toward melodrama, I remained calm and asked what happened. The chilling scream continued, so I deduced that something was not quite right. "Uh, Tracey, I am not good with blood". OneThing Leader to the rescue! Grayson arrived at the top of the stairs covered in blood. Tracey stepped into a triage role and assessed that we would be heading to the doctor ASAP. She helped make phone calls, getting Randy out of his meeting and helping us into the vehicle to head to the doc.

Of course, a mom never wants to hear, "There's blood everywhere", but she REALLY never wants to hear from the doctor, "Ooooo....I can't do this. You really want him to see a plastic surgeon." That set Grayson's imagination wild and all the way to Children's Mercy he had visions of surgery! 5 hours after we arrived in the waiting room of the E.R. with a spilt open lip, we left all sewn up and ready to have a millkshake.

All this due to boys being boys -- a wrestling match gone bad!

Maybe tomorrow will be more "normal. Probably not!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Zoe will get hurt doing girly things like putting hair bows in and talking on the phone...

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. Little girls, believe it or not, are quite capable of having the same thing happen. Reading your recounting was like reliving Sammy's trip to the ER for a very similar reason. In fact, Delores saw her the next day. We lovingly called her Frankenbaby for quite a while. The good news, the scar healed so well that you hardly even notice it now. I wish the same for Grayson.